The Twincesses aren’t the easiest when it comes to mealtimes. They could have a favorite this week which they hate the next. And very frequently, one of them will like something while the other loathes it.
So as you can imagine dinner times are normally fraught with stress. I try to come up with imaginative ideas that encompass relatively healthy ingredients. Not as easy as it sounds when you work full time and have twins who could happily eat dry pasta all day, everyday.
I remember my mom used to make us scrambled egg cups when we were little. I loved it!!! So I tried a variation of it one day, and it was a hit!
So I’d like to share with you the quick and easy recipe for dinner cups with my secret ingredient!
What’s great about this dish (apart from the fact that its easy and quick to make), is that you can use any combination of ingredients you have in the fridge. Great to use up leftovers and super easy to hide veggies inside.
To make these easy dinner cups you’ll need:
– sliced bread (1 slice for each ‘cup’)
– eggs (roughly 1 egg for every 2 cups)
– any other ingredients your child fancies
(I normally use bacon or ham, cheese and sweet corn). Tuna, peppers, chopped tomatoes, chicken cubes or feta also work well.
-Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a muffin pan for the required number of cups.
– Cut off the crusts on a slice of bread and use a rolling pin to flatten it.
– Fold the flattened bread into the muffin pan so that it forms a sort of ‘bowl’ for your fillings.
– Beat the eggs and add the desired precooked ingredients.
– Spoon egg mixture into cups and bake for approx 10 Minutes until eggs are cooked through.
I always add a few spoons of Woolies butternut mash. I have written a separate post about the sheer versatility of the Woolies mashed veggie range… it’s just brilliant to add a healthy dose of the good stuff to your kids meals with them being none the wiser! I add a few spoons to pasta, pies, stews, eggs… just about anything really.
The Twincesses love their dinner cups, and I try to mix it up with different fillings every now and then to ensure they don’t get bored.
Hopefully if you try it, it will be just as big a hit in your household!